© 2008 YaninaTravels
(Note: “White Brotherhood”- ‘White’ stands as a symbol for spiritual purity and has no any reference with race)
Here is the book and there is the picture on back of it – a circle of thousands of people dressed in white, dancing in the high mountains of Rila. As soon as I saw that, I said, ‘I’m one of them. So in order for the circle to be made, I must show up and be there.’ And I feel very connected to Bulgaria. – Irena Nickels, California, USA
Irena is one of many other people from all over the world, who attend the White Brotherhood annual gathering at the Seven Rila Lakes in Bulgaria. People from different religious backgrounds dance together in the high mountains of Rila and accept the paneurhytmy as a universal dance. Paneurhytmy creates harmony and unity with nature and it’s an expression of all human values.
The Universal White Brotherhood is a religious movement founded in Bulgaria in the early XXth century by Peter Deunov. The group proposes a Christian esoterism, characterized by prayer, meditation, breathing exercises, yoga of nutrition and paneurhytmy.
WHAT TO BRING
- Bags: 40L backpack, hydration daily backpack, luggage travel locks, lightweight foldable bag, clothes packing cubes
- Camping Gear: tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, camping blanket, camping pillow
- Jackets: lightweight jacket, lightweight vest, rain jacket, BugsAway jacket, poncho, backpack rain cover
- Shoes: waterproof hiking boots, lightweight water shoes, lightweight flip flops, shoe packing bags
- Tops: mid layer tee, hiking t-shirts, sport dress
- Pants: lightweight long pants, short pants
- Small Items: sun hat, winter hat, socks, underwear, gloves, long underwear, swimsuit
- Misc: sunscreen, insect repellent, aloe vera gel, anti-itch cream, inflatable neck pillow, lightweight travel/swim/sports towel, external battery pack, universal travel adapter, small packing cube for cables/battery pack/adapter, water bottle, coffee/juice bottle, food flask, eating utensils, headlight, emergency kit, camp gas stove, knife and matches, personal cosmetics
- Food: trek mix individual packs, instant oatmeal packets, instant coffee packets, tea, honey, bread, veggies, fruits, sweets, etc.
* AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: I’m a participant in the Amazon Associates Program, which is an affiliate advertising program, built for web owners to earn referral fees. On my blog you will find referrals only for travel products which I personally use and find outstanding. By clicking on my referral links and using them to purchase products from Amazon, besides getting an awesome travel gadget for yourself, you also support future production of more inspiring and helpful travel content on my blog. By using my Amazon referral links, you don’t pay more for any of the products but exactly the same amount as you would pay if you don’t use them. Click here for my General Amazon Affiliate Link
HOW TO GET THERE & HOW TO ATTEND THE EVENT
If you want to attend this unique event, it would take you a special planning. The White Brotherhood gathering is an annual event usually occurring August 15-20. The information about the event is updated and posted every year on the main website of the White Brotherhood However, as of now they still don’t have it translated in English. Their email address is email@example.com or you can call them at +359897099147
From Sofia, which is the capital of Bulgaria, you need to get on a small bus to Hija Pionerska in Rila Mountains. It is about 2 and a half hour drive. From Hija Pionerska, you will hike up to Hija Seven Lakes. The hike is about 3 hours. Contact the White Brotherhood and ask them; if you can sign up to get on one of their buses; where exactly they would be picking up the participants. Each year this information varies, so the best way to find out is to contact them.