© 2010 YaninaTravels
Maui is the second largest of the Hawaiian islands. There are plenty of things to see and do on this island. I would like to present you with my 5 favorite things to do on a 10 days vacation in Maui. I suggest you take a ‘beach day’ in between each one of those 5 activities, in order to enjoy your vacation fully!
I strongly recommend you to apply for the Hawaiian Airlines credit card, which gives you a great chance for a free ticket to anywhere in Hawaii. Make sure you pay your flight fees with the same credit card since it gives you another perk- 1st checked in bag for free.
Rent a Car
If you want to explore the island, you will definitely need a car in Maui. An excellent place to rent a car in Maui and on the other islands in Hawaii is through Discount Hawaii Car Rentals.
Things to see
1. Meet sunrise at Haleakala National Park- you need to wake up really early (around 3-4am). Be prepared with a map. The road to Haleakala is really curvy, steep and dangerous. Take your time driving up. Once you get to the top, the view is stunning and so worth it. Visit National Park Service Hawaii website to read the latest rules about visiting this park. According to their latest 2017 rules, you will need to make a reservation before you go.
2. Road to Hana- it’s a curvy coastal road with views of beaches, waterfalls, and rainforest. You should leave early in the morning and spend the entire day on that road. Make sure you pick up a map from the airport or from the hotel where you are staying. The Road to Hana is a paved road. There are places to stop and buy food and drinks. It’s an enjoyable drive!
3. Take a day trip to a nearby island- Sail with Trilogy to Lanai Lanai is the sixth-largest of the Hawaiian islands, but only about 3000 people live there. Lanai is also known as “Pineapple Island” because in the past was home to a plantation that produced 75% of the world’s pineapples. There are no traffic lights on the island and all public transportation is provided by the local hotels.
4. Hawai’s Volcanoes National Park- take a tour with Active Volcano Air Tours to Big Island from Kapalua West Maui Airport. It’s an expensive tour but with fascinating views of active volcanoes!
5. Ka’anapali Beach- It stretches across 3 miles of the island’s northwest coast. Spend a day or more at this absolutely gorgeous beach!